ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗ

*
*
*
*
*
Πεδία μαρκαρισμένα με αστερίσκο(*) είναι υποχρεωτικά

Language

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)

Visitors

mod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_counter

Home History Location

Topographic Position and Name of Spinalonga PDF Print E-mail

Spinalonga is a small, area of 85 acres and a height to 53 meters. Located in northeastern Crete, at the entrance of Elounda Bay in the area of Mirabello at the prefecture of Lasithi. Its ancient name was "Kalidon" and there was Olouniton fortress which protected the harbor of the ancient city Olous. The name 'Spinalonga' took on Venetian, meaning "long thorn»(spina = thorn, longa = long). It arose from a corruption of the name «Stinelonde» (in Elounda), became «Spinalonde» and finally «Spinalonga» («Spinalonga» was also named an island in Venice today «Giudecca»). From this description, it appeared later and the Greek version "Makrakanthi. Today the name that has prevailed is "Spinalonga" (less well known are the names of "Island"or "Kolokitha").Over the ruins of the ancient fortress,The Venetians built a strong fortress to defend themselves from  the upcoming Turkish threat, which lasted until 1715, when the fortress  fell into the hands of the Turks, after surrendering. The island was a haven and base of operations "Hainides" Cretan guerrilla rebels faught Ottoman rulers who had already occupied the island. When the island was conquered by the Turks, was settled and built houses. In the late 19th century, inhabited by an estimated more than two hundred families.

Source: http://www.pare-dose.net
Translaton: Val. Lempidakis